Our teeth work hard and are constantly under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them in enamel—the hardest substance in the body. But as we have seen too many times at Thompson and Frey in Owensboro, enamel erosion is extremely omnipresent, and a threat to the dental health of many of our patients.
And yet, enamel erosion is largely preventable. Its chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal ailments, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Thompson & Frey Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and prevent future erosion if some has already transpired.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the NIH, 41% of youth already have enamel erosion.
- Too-forceful brushing can damage enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as detrimental as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to prevent continued erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been harmed. Call us at Thompson & Frey Cosmetic & Family Dentistry in Owensboro to schedule an examination. We provide family and cosmetic dentistry, and work for the dental health of each of our patients.
Contact Thompson & Frey Cosmetic & Family Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):