Hello, we are Drs. David Thompson and Vicki Frey. Our dental practice, Thompson & Frey Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, wants to help our Henderson, Tell City, IN, and Hartford patients to be knowledgeable about oral health issues.
Today we are going to discuss the complexity and importance of your saliva. This typically yucky substance is, in reality, a finely balance body fluid that not only maintains dental health but also aids in digestion of your food. So, without further adieu, here are the main components of saliva.
1. Water. No surprise here! You saliva consists mostly of water.
2. Enzymes. Enzymes are vital biological catalysts that speed chemical reactions. The enzymes in saliva begin the process of digestion.
3. Immunoproteins. These are dynamic cells that fight cellular invaders, such as bacteria. Those in saliva inhibit the overgrowth of microbes in the mouth. This is essential to avoiding gingivitis and keeping a healthy pH balance in the mouth.
4. Minerals. Saliva minerals assist in maintaining the protective enamel surface of the teeth.
Most Owensboro dental patients produce enough saliva, but some suffer from dry mouth, which is a lack of saliva. This can be dangerous to your dental health, so be sure to speak with your Owensboro dentist if you are experiencing this.
If you are in the Henderson, Tell City, IN, or Hartford area and are in search of quality dental care, please call my office today at 270-683-0620. Our friendly and helpful staff would be happy to talk to you about our popular services, which include:
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Porcelain Veneers
- Prepless Veneers
- Dental Implants
- CEREC® Same-Day Porcelain Crowns
- Teeth Whitening
Contact Thompson & Frey Cosmetic & Family Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):